Friday, October 24, 2008

Well, she needed clothes.



...That is what John McCain is saying today, according to politico.com, in response to the eyebrows raised on the campaign spending $150,000 on Sarah Palin's outfits right before the RNC in September. While a "breaking story" like this is just s sign of a slow news week from the campaign trail, I think there's some deeper issues going on here.

1) No one gives a shit what all of the males are wearing in this campaign (except for me, maybe - McCain's suit in the last debate was ballin'). What I'm trying to say is that there is such a huge double standard in judging a woman's appearance if she is in the public eye. Nothing on Obama's (bomb-ass) $1500 suit. Nothing on John McCain's (bomb-ass) $500 Ferragamo shoes. Everything about Palin's hair, makeup, and attractiveness (I even saw an article about whether her lip liner was tattooed on?!) and Hillary Clinton pantsuits and Cindy McCain's $300,000 outfit at the RNC. Unfair.

2) According to McCain, the clothes will be donated at the end of the campaign. Great. Not only are you spinning this story like crazy, now three or four needy women will benefit from a handful of way-too-flashy outfits for, well, any event. Donated to whom? I think we both know that $150,000 can go much much farther than that. Please refer to John McCain's poverty plan for more information. Oh, I forgot, he doesn't have one.



3) If you want to talk clothes, let's talk clothes. The Obamas have spent some money on their outfits, but it was their own cash. And if you want to talk public perception, all you have to do is look at Michelle Obama's outfit on The View the other day (I know, I know, whatever. I heard it from someone. I work during the day people!) that flew off the stores. Grand total? $150. $99 if you buy it online. You want to do something that your constituents (namely "hard working, real Americans") will appreciate? Wear something in their price range, Gov. Palin. Keep those glasses, though. The designer is making a killing.

I'm no fashion guru, but those are my two cents. And they will be donated to charity after the election.

2 comments:

Perf said...

I get the point of this article.. and I of course agree... but Barbara Walters is looking good in that picture. Daaaaaaaammmmmn.

Grambo said...

RIGHT?! That's what I'm saying! Get me in a room with her and Sally Field, and it's over!