Monday, October 6, 2008

Gentrification is not my Favorite Thing.

This article was sent to me by my dude Arkadiusz. Shout out to Poland. Stay tuned for information about his blog highlighting classical buildings around NYC.

gentrification is not my favorite thing

The article follows a couple purchasing a building with eight units in Prospect Heights. In their attempt to live the luxurious life, they try to evict all tenants that are still paying rent under rent-stabilization laws.

A classic case of gentrification; I am not down.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

julen said...

Stuff like this really angers me. And you know what one of the worst things about it is? The people who do it have the audacity to do it BLATANTLY. They aren't even trying to hide the fact that they think they are "cleaning up the neighborhood" by kicking out people who have lawfully lived in these buildings for years with affordable rents. I'm sorry, but not everyone can afford $1500 per/mo. rents, nor they can afford to just "get their own property," even if they do have decent jobs. Sadly, despite the recent financial crisis, I don't think people are going to stop moving into million dollar lofts in Harlem, Washington Heights, and "East Williamsburg" - better known as Bed-Stuy Brooklyn, the gentrified version.

Has anyone walked around Harlem lately? Since when does Starbucks have a line longer then Dunkin Donuts? Since when do you see non-people of color crowding onto buses? Rapidly increasing gentrification all across NYC is one Bloomberg-era accomplishment that is not my favorite thing.