Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy New Year, everyone! Let's hope this year is better in every way possible. It's 2009, and we have a bi-racial President! That's a good start. So, if you haven't been following the news surrounding PEOBama's picks for various cabinet posts and other key positions, here's the rundown. I'd like to offer my two cents on one particular pick, Dr. Sanjay Gupta.


Okay, here's the thing. I'm pretty sure that when most of you heard that the CNN Chief Medical Correspondent was being considered for the Surgeon General, you must have thought, "Man, Obama's really going Hollywood right now." At least I did. I initially thought that despite his outstanding credentials as an actively practicing neuroscientist, his image has been watered down to a talking head on cable news. Could he really provide the credibility necessary for the post? Then, I thought, Oh, that wily Obama. He's got a trick up his sleeve. Or something like that. You see, now, more than ever, we need leaders who can actually communicate effectively with us. Especially in an era of youtubes and 24-hour news, communication is key, and has to be done effectively almost every time it is attempted. So, then, who better than Dr. Gupta to lead the charge against child obesity, cancer research, and healthier living? Who better to champion the effort for a new, expansive health insurance system that adjusts to the modern needs of Americans? Plus, people already know him. Once we get to learn his story, they will believe in him. Ever since the Surgeon General started pressing labels on cigarette cartons in the 60s (and increasing those anti-smoking efforts in 85 during the Reagan Administration), this post has been increasingly tied to media and public scrutiny. I, for one, think that it would be nice to have Dr. Sanj telling me that I need to exercise more.


And, if anything, at least it's not Dr. Phil, or that creepy woman from the Herbal Essences commercials... (I think she could use a five-dollar footlong from Subway)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you have to say about this?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/the-trouble-with-sanjay-gupta/

I am not a huge fan of Krugman, but the video (you can find it on google) of Gupta and Moore's argument worries me. From what I have read, Gupta seems to be either dishonest or lazy.

Also: (seek to 2:07) http://www.tv.com/video/1K8cOfstgWpznAhxipcgnNs1Zcftg5W6/dr.-guptas-penis-pyramid?o=hulu