Monday, November 3, 2008

The Final Countdown.



Readers,

It's almost time. Can you believe it? Can you seriously wrap your head around this, the final countdown to one of the most important political events in the history of the United States? Can someone pinch me, please?

Over the weekend, I received my sample ballot for my hometown election. Just seeing Sen. Obama's name emblazoned in all caps at the top of the ballot was moving. I got a bit emotional, to be honest. I sat down and thought of the millions (literally MILLIONS) of volunteers who gave their time, effort, voices, and money to four letters: HOPE. Knowing a couple of paid organizers around the country, I have often heard of 18+ hours days, sleepless nights, and thankless work. Well I'm going to use my digital soapbox right now to do just that. Thank you. Thank you for everything you have done. It's not just the facts and figures (number of phone calls made, number of doors knocked on) its the stuff that could never be measured. Like the impact you leave on an elderly woman in the middle of winter who says, "Wow, no one has ever called me to vote and actually listened to my opinion." Or the big SUV that took a couple dings in the heart of the New Hampshire winter that got you from place to place, story to story. It's greater still to have the privilege of convincing your parents or friends, one at a time, that you might be on to something, that this guy might be on to something.

I shook myself out of the daydream and started to think about what a tough road our next President is going to have. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, spilling precariously into Syria, Pakistan and Iran, an all-but-inevitable Depression, unprecedented job loss, a tenuous grasp on National Security and an Energy Crisis festering in the shadows. For a time as monumental as this, I suppose it's only fitting for the stakes and problems we face to follow suit. And drastic times, as we all know, call for drastic measures, drastic changes in the way we perceive ourselves and tackle our problems. We need a leader who will veer from from what's popular in favor of what's right for the American people and our friends and neighbors. Former President Clinton was right; we need a leader who "is willing to understand and who can understand" the problems we face.

When all is said and done tomorrow night (knock on wood), no matter the outcome, I think I'm going to feel badly for Sen. McCain. You gotta have a heart, you know? When put under enormous pressure by his party to stand up for what they believe in, he forgot what he believed in. I think he could truly do some great things for our country, but I don't think now is his time. I wish him well in whatever he is called to do on November 5th, but I hope that it is something along the lines of hiring Joe the Plumber for a $250,000 repiping project in Arizona.

I'm nervous about tomorrow; I think a lot of people are as well. But for everyone one of you who reads this and thinks, "well there's nothing else that I can do," I offer you this rallying cry. Being uneasy about Tuesday can only lead to one thing: indigestion. Being proactive and picking up the phone to call people to remind them to vote and to ensure that they have all of the tools they need to allow their voice to be heard tomorrow is the only way to get rid of (part of) that ache in your stomach. Even if you don't get through or everyone you know has already been inundated with calls, you won't be able to say that you didn't try. We need to make sure that every last Obama supporter casts their vote. Change your facebook status to remind people to go vote and change your profile picture to remind everyone of this big day. You'd be surprised who will forget.

One thing that I noticed about the Obama campaign that really struck me in the last few days is that they are expanding, not retreating. They are boldly entering red states like Arizona (McCain's homestate) to try and get a working majority. They are not trying to win a 51-49 majority by alienating voter groups. Instead, they are working toward a kind of 62-38 majority that can actually effect real change in Washington and around the country for the next few years and beyond.

In sum, we're in for a wild ride tomorrow. I'm sure you all are planning election parties, and you should. I suggest you watch the results with your friends and family if possible. This is going to the be the biggest day of the born-in-1980s-or-so's Generation and it's something that should be shared and cherished as a very, very big deal. Wednesday better be a very, very slow day at work :)

And if praying is your custom, do that, too. We're gonna need all the help we can get.

Your Brother in Hope,
Grambo.

Obama '08 Tomorrow

No comments: