Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Role Models

If there's one thing that Michael Phelps, Alex Rodriguez, and Chris Brown can teach America's youth, it's this: get rich then get in trouble, and let your agent or spokesperson handle the dirty work.

Has anyone else noticed that 2009 has exposed more phonies than Playboy? I mean, from the jokers who spend $50 million on private jets (American jobs, yes, I know) and $200 million to name a stadium, to those "performance enhancing" athletes (whether it be testosterone or that gold medal kush), to those allegedly abusive "squeaky clean" R&B artists, who are parents supposed to trust with their kids attention these days? Never before in my lifetime have so many cheaters been exposed in such a short period of time. And it seems to be more and more difficult for them to come clean and look sincere...

Personally, I think that cheaters should never prosper (see Marion Jones), but at the same time, everyone should be given a fair shot at forgiveness. I worry about the kids who will watch this unfold (most likely from a video podcast on their brain-melting iPhones) and think that if they haven't been carted off to jail, or kicked out of their sport or their jobs, then it's not all that bad. I know nothing about parenting, but I imagine I would have a really, really tough time pitching the morally high road to my kids. Unless that high road had an exclusive agreement with Fruit by the Foot and Apple Jacks, and the low road only had brussels sprouts and cottage cheese.

1 comment:

Inconnu said...

To be honest, the only thing upending that is the fact that it's okay to molest children as long as you're rich and famous. See Robert Kelly, Roman Polansky, Woody Allen, et al. Chris Brown aside, I don't really see the others as having een a big deal. They're young and do the same thigns you (we) were/are doing at this point in their lives.